Monday, April 2, 2007

Thank Heaven For Dougie Coup

Religion has always been a part of my life.

My dad was a perfect example of a born-again Christian when he was a kid. He used to get into all sorts of trouble - you name it. He then was pursuing a certain young lady, and she was involved with the church so he kind of just fell into it - much like Cheryl and Jason's story in Hey Nostradamus! She only joined Youth Alive because Jason was there, but ended up being more into the group and into religion than Jason ever was.

So my dad got into it the same sort of way... and I'm glad he did. He needed something to turn to, something to hold onto, something that gave him hope. He has stuck with his beliefs throughout his whole life, even the hardest times. He never ever pulled a Reg on my sisters and I though; we've never had God crammed down our throats or drilled into our heads. He educated us as much as he could when we were young, and now he allows us to make our own decisions... which I am forever grateful for. We don't even go to church. We have before, on Easter or Christmas some years, but it's never been a huge influence. It's been there, but nothing too extreme.

My dad threw out all his non-Christian music, and didn't hang out with any non-Christian people really after that either.

I can't even imagine doing that! I can't imagine devoting that much of myself to Christianity. I wouldn't even call myself a Christian for that reason... how can I be? I've never read the bible, I don't go to church, I don't sacrifice anything for God. I can't really wrap my head around it enough to do so. I do pray once in awhile, I have donned a cross around my neck, and I do believe in God... some form of God. I sacrifice for others, I would do anything for my friends and family, but the motivation is different. Coupland's novel made me cherish my dad's lenience. Even though he is really into his religion, he allows me to choose for myself without making me feel guilty or worthless because I don't agree with him. I have the perfect amount in my life. The guidance I need at times, without some hardcore extremist forcing me to believe. I would be much less likely to believe if somebody told me to. I thank God I don't have to deal with that.

No comments: